7th Grade ELA (Gifted) (6th & 7th Periods)~~Ms. Willis - Room 408
We were descended from royalty. ~~Natalie Woods
Week 3 (3/30-4/3/2020) (Purple)~~Spring Break (4/6-10/2020)~~ Week 4 (4/13-17/2020) if needed (Green)
It is that time of year that we start to review and practice the different types of writing. Now you think that one paper in a week is not a lot to do. If you do it correctly and use the process, it takes a week.
Follow these steps:
Monday—Pre-write, brainstorm, make a list,
Tuesday—Write/Just write. Put your thoughts into sentences.
Wednesday—Revise and Edit into what seems logical. (Revising is messy.)
Thursday—Revise and Edit again; check sentence structure; vocabulary-using our best words
Friday - As you write or type this, you will still revise and edit. Final Draft (for publication); handwritten or post on Google Classrooms
Week 3 (3/30-4/3/2020) Narrative:
- How long does this have to be? Long enough for you to tell your story.
- You need a beginning, a middle, and an end to a narrative.
- Can I write about “this? My answer is usually yes.
- Can I use “I”? Yes. Why not. It’s a narrative.
- Dialogue or “thinking out loud” adds interest to a narrative
- Write a story that people in your age group would want to read.
Topics: Adjust it to meet your creative needs.
- Your choice - Yes, this is whatever you want to write about.
- A story that includes “journal entries” from Distance Learning. (Funny is good.)
- As Mr. Rogers’ mom told him to look for the helpers, look for the good in people. Write about the good you see or the good you are doing now.
- The Apocalypse is one of your faves. You are (or so you think) the only survivor post-Apocalypse.
- The Perfect World post COVID19. What happens when life is normal again?
Week 4 (4/13-17/2020) Just in case! Argument Writing
- Pick a side. There is no fence-sitting.
- The other side is your counter-argument. Basically why it is not your choice.
- Limit use of I or do not use at all. If you have a sentence that begins with I, how can you rewrite it and not use I. It is possible. Try it.
- Vocabulary use - use your good words.
- Sentence Structure. Make sure it is a sentence..not a fragment.
- If you can support your ideas/points with real data, that is better.
Topics - Adjust to YOUR ideas.
- Your choice - what ever you can argue for and against.
- Cell Phones in school or not. The good and the bad. Your choice is not wrong.
- Dress Code. Use the CMS policy as your counter argument? Is it fair? Is it worth an argument for you?
- Sodas in school or not? Why/Why not? Diet/Regular? Why do we have this policy?
- Is it better to have sports or the Arts (band, chorus, visual arts)? Which is better.
Week 1-2: If you have access to Study Island and you have not completed Language Part 5, please complete that as your assignment. 14 parts--do ALL. If you have completed all of the parts @ 70%, you can complete the paper packet or you can complete an area you know you need more hands-on time. Do Lang Part 5 first.
Study Island Login: lunch#@c (example 12345@c) Password: student
If you prefer the paper packet, that is absolutely ok.